Yesterday I managed to break the screen on my phone while it was in my pocket.
Looks like the digitizer is damaged, as it no longer accepts touch input. While I'm waiting for repair parts to come in, I decided to install Sailfish OS on my wife's old OnePlus X.
Here are some initial thoughts:
1. Love the overall UI aesthetic. And the icons look gorgeous on an OLED screen. I was a huge fan of Windows Phone from 7 all the way to the end. I find may similarities to Windows Phone 7 and 8 (and that isn't bad at all!)
2. Designed for one handed use. No back/home/etc buttons. Simple gestures control everything.
3. Card/Cal DAV works out of the box with my Baikal(Saberdav) server.
1. SMS works well, but MMS will not download messages.
2. Software selection between Jolla store and OpenRepos isn't great. I would say Windows Phone in its early days had a larger selection of indie applications. Im missing things like a native Matrix client. Would be nice to have a Twitter/Mastodon combo client like Twidere.
On a side note, I can see why Jolla is bringing the OS to feature phones. It seems very light, and the interface combined with a decent core set of built in apps would be a good experience on such a device.